Pathway: Hospitality, and Business/Public Administration Pathways
Grades: 10, 11, 12
Educational Support Center, 1500 E. 120th Ave, Thornton, CO 80241
(Business Management/Culinary Arts/Hospitality/Lodging Related Curriculum)
Interested in a fast-paced, hands-on, and creative career? Do you have a passion for food or travel? Then ProStart may be the class for you. The ProStart program is designed to expose students to the culinary, tourism, and hospitality fields including food preparation, management, and customer service. Through the curriculum, students are able to blend food science, technical skills, and industry knowledge with each student’s creativity and passion. ProStart is a nationally certified college-prep business management program focusing on the hospitality industry. The ProStart curriculum is built around providing students the necessary industry skills and knowledge to succeed within the hospitality and tourism industry as well as a post-secondary hospitality or culinary program.
Content covered in this program:
- Food Safety and Sanitation
- Stocks, Soups, and Sauces
- Cooking Methods and Techniques
- Food Costing and Menu Control
- Salads, Dressings, and Dips
- Breakfast Foods and Sandwiches
- Management Strategies
- Garnishing and Plating Techniques
- Kitchen Hierarchy and Brigade
- Global Cuisine
- Meat, Poultry, and Seafood
- Kitchen Equipment
- Knife Skills
- Customer Service and Serving Techniques
1. Students that complete this course are eligible to test for ProStart certification.
2. ProStart is a college-prep program designed to prepare students for college, apprenticeships and careers in the industry.
3. An interest in business management, culinary arts, a strong academic background and leadership skills are recommended.
4. Culinary Arts is a physically demanding academic subject and students should be prepared to stand for long periods of time, lift heavy objects, and clean dishes on a daily basis.
ProStart is a FutureForward program taught at the Educational Support Center (Admin Building) 128th & Claude Ct.Required fees:
- Class fee: $40.00
- FCCLA membership dues: $25.00.
- Personalized chef coat: $15.00
SOME CAREER OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS ENROLLED IN THE PROSTART PROGRAM:
- Caterer Chef/Pastry Chef
- Hotel General Manager
- Food Photographer
- Event Planner
- Restaurant Entrepreneur
- Food/Beverage Director
- Food Scientist/R & D Chef
- Cameron Stutzman
- Thomas Floyd