Pathway: STEM, & Computer Science Pathway
Grades: 11, 12
In this one-year course students increase their cyber awareness which helps to develop a more educated cyber workforce. Students will get hands on experience securing vulnerabilities on a Windows Server, a Linux machine and a Windows machine. Students will also be exploring the following topics:
- Law explores the differences between a criminal offense and a moral wrong, protection of intellectual property, the functions and uses of permanent electronic records, and the role of laws in addressing social challenges.
- Politics inspects how cyberspace, and specifically social media, influences the political climate around the world as well as the ways hacking affects those same politics.
- Terrorism analyzes the motivations behind, desired outcomes of, and consequences of acts of terrorism and discusses appropriate counter attacks or counter measures.
- Networking and Security (NS) showcases the structure of networks as well as the vulnerabilities. The need for security is heavily emphasized through man-in-the-middle attacks, cryptography, and steganography.
- Ethics examines ethical implications of extensive technology use such as conceptions of friendships, privacy, personality, and the harms inherent in new technologies.
- Communities investigates the necessity of a networked society, crowdsourcing information, technology used in communication, virtual collaboration, and team dynamics.
- Business demonstrates the collection, storage, usage, and protection of data; cybersecurity attacks and threats; and technology to improve information security.
- Artificial Intelligence introduces a definition of "smart" technology, examines the concept of intelligence, and explores the current, and potential future, roles of AI around the globe.
1. Prerequisite: AP Computer Science or AP Computer Science Principles.
Course fee: $20.00
POSSIBLE CAREER OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS ENROLLED IN CYBER SECURITY:
- Cyber Crime Investigator
- Cybersecurity Consultant
- IT Auditor
- Software Development
- Cybersecurity Engineer
Instructor: Bobbie Bastian